NCFE has an online assessment system that allows centres to deliver external assessments securely on-screen. We’re operating the most current version of this system, which is called Surpass, to ensure our customers and learners have the best experience possible.
The system is free to use and gives you full control over booking and managing your learners’ assessments. The system is secure and easy to use, and we have a full range of support guides plus our Customer Support team available to support you with using the system.
What does the online assessment system offer?
Ultimately, we want to make your life easier and your assessment process to run as smoothly as possible. That's why our online assessment system allows you to:
- book your learners assessments within 30 minutes of them being registered on our Portal, so for on-demand assessments learners can be registered and booked quickly
- book an assessment for up to 6 weeks at a time, and learners can sit at any point
- monitor your learners assessments as they’re booked, sat and completed
- view results and feedback reports the instant they’ve been issued
- deliver NCFE online assessments not only online (on a device with a secure internet connection) but also offline if secure internet connection is an issue (prior download is required)
- prepare learners using practice assessments that are in the same format and environment as live assessments
- pause and re-start assessments if needed to support Reasonable Adjustment breaks and any emergencies that occur
- re-schedule assessments due to non-attendance or changes in circumstances
- apply time adjustments for learners as needed in line with our Access Arrangements & Reasonable Adjustments Policy.
Who can use the online assessment system?
Any of our approved centres who are approved for at least one of these qualifications:
- CACHE Understand How to Set Up a Home-Based Childcare Service (CYPOP 5)
- CACHE Level 3 Diploma in the Principles and Practice of Dental Nursing (601/2251/1)
- Essential Digital Skills at Entry Level 3 and Level 1
- Functional Skills Qualification in ICT at Level 1 and Level 2
- NCFE Level 1 Functional Skills in English (Reform)
- NCFE Level 2 Functional Skills in English (Reform)
- NCFE Level 1 Functional Skills in Maths (Reform)
- NCFE Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths (Reform)
- T Level Technical Qualification in Education and Childcare (Level 3) (delivered by NCFE)
- T Level Technical Qualification in Digital Business Services (Level 3) (delivered by NCFE)
- T Level Technical Qualification in Digital Support Services (Level 3) (delivered by NCFE)
- T Level Technical Qualification in Health (Level 3) (delivered by NCFE)
- T Level Technical Qualification in Healthcare Science (Level 3) (delivered by NCFE)
- T Level Technical Qualification in Science (Level 3) (delivered by NCFE)
And you must have received approval to access the system following completion of the below application form which includes agreeing to declarations necessary to continue accessing the system.
What support is available?
Once you’re approved to access our Online Assessment system, there are a number of support guides aimed at supporting members of staff involved with the different stages of the assessment process.
The technical requirements that must be met to run the online assessment system are outlined in our technical specification document. It is important that all devices being used to sit assessments meet this specification and that continual checks are carried out on these devices to check they continue to meet them.
The system itself can be accessed from the menu above labelled ‘Login’ then select ‘Online Assessment’ or by copying the URL (ncfe.surpass.com) into the Surpass Viewer.
We recommend that users now access the Surpass platform via the Surpass Viewer. If you’ve not already installed this, instructions can be found here.